SAE J2716 (SENT) to CAN/RS-232 Gateway
A low-cost gateway between SAE J2716 (SENT) and RS-232/CAN bus. The interface features two bi-directional SENT (Single Edge Nibble Transmission) channels and either RS-232 or CAN bus interface. The device flexibility allows the user to use it as a PC interface, a PLC/tester gateway and generally for SENT communication monitoring and simulation.
Fast, Short Serial, and Enhanced Serial message formats are supported. The user can configure channel parameters (direction, tick time, nibble count, filtration) and store the configuration into the device’s non-volatile memory. Each SENT channel can be configured independently to suit all possible use cases: 2 RX channels / 1 RX and 1 TX channel / 2 TX channels.
An intelligent filtration of incoming SENT frames has been introduced so that RS-232 or CAN communication does not get overloaded. The CAN variant offers configurable CAN Identifiers for both TX and RX which allows multiple devices to be used simultaneously on the same CAN bus. The device’s firmware is upgradable from PC.
A PC application for configuring the device and for monitoring, logging and simulation of SENT communication is available for free. The device provides a simple binary protocol over RS-232/CAN so that the user can easily integrate the device into an existing system, such as test benches, HiL rigs and End-of-Line testers. The protocol provides function to configure the device’s channels and to transmit and receive SENT Fast and Slow messages.
Get the SENT2CAN/RS232 Data Sheet.
- SENT-to-CAN or SENT-to-RS-232 Gateway
- 2x SAE J2716 (SENT) channel
- Each channel configurable as RX or TX, channels are independent
- Supports Fast and Slow Messages according to SAE J2716:2016 (Fast, Short Serial, and Enhanced Serial)
- Supports SENT/SPC
- Configurable SENT channel parameters – Tick Time, Nibble Count
- On-board remanent memory
- Intelligent message filtration
- 1x DSUB9F (RS-232/CAN), 1x 8-pin terminal block
- Input Power 9-30 VDC
- 4x LED (3x Status, 1x Power)
- 1x Reset switch
- 5V DC output with over-current protection
- Dimensions 108 x 54 x 30 mm
- Table or DIN-rail mount
- Hardware and firmware customization on request
Software and Device Integration
- Free-of-charge PC application for configuration, reception, transmission and logging (a CAN interface by Kvaser is needed for communication with the SENT-CAN variant)
- Simple binary protocol for integration into existing systems
- Device’s firmware upgradable from PC